Polk County residents looking for temporary coverings for their homes damaged by Hurricane Irma can apply for Operation Blue Roof. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers will be in Bartow on Wednesday to provide no-cost temporary repairs for damaged roofs. Roofs with 50 percent or more structural damage are not eligible.
Corps representatives will be available from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. starting Wednesday at the Bartow Municipal Airport, 5253 Airport Blvd. Only primary residences with standard shingled roofs are eligible for the program. Metal roofs and mobile homes will be repaired on a case-by-case basis. Vacation rental properties are not eligible.
To get assistance, you must sign a form to allow Corps staff and contractors to access your property. Those forms can be filled out at the Bartow Airport location.
The program is free and there is no charge for services. Operation Blue Roof is provided by the Federal Emergency Management Agency and managed by U.S. Army Corps of Engineers contractors. The program provides fiber-reinforced sheeting and installation to cover damaged roofs until arrangements can be made for permanent repairs.
(For more local news from Florida, click here to sign up for real-time news alerts and newsletters from Lakeland Patch. Click here to find your local Florida Patch. If you have an iPhone, click here to get the free Patch iPhone app.)
For residents looking to apply to Operation Blue Roof:
- All storm debris must be removed from a roof to qualify.
- Blue Roof representatives never solicit participation, nor will they ask for Social Security or bank account numbers.
- Corps employees who do assessments for Operation Blue Roof carry U.S. Government ID cards. If you do not see a contractor’s identification, ask for it.
- Representatives from Operation Blue Roof may contact a homeowner to clarify information or location, but they will not ask for sensitive information.
- Pets must be kept inside the property or restrained in order for workers to safely access the roof.
For more information, call 888-ROOF-BLU (888-766-3258), or go to http://www.saj.usace.army.mil/BlueRoof/.